Next Outing

Next Up:- Remember Cycling is weather dependent. Take Care


1. Cycle Sunday 9am for the fit and 1130 for those of us with more sense

2. Weather and light permitting there will be cycles at 7pm Tuesday and Thursday

3. Falling Leaves Tour 22nd September Athlone

Friday 18 May 2012

Time Trials 18/5/12


Well the second night of our time trials went ahead with the usual suspects turning out. I have to say that at the end I was bushed although there was defiantly NO improvement in my time. I believe it’s a great way to judge your cycle fitness and it gives you a set target to improve on. There is no doubt but that there are those who will always try to compete and they are right to do so. It is a great way to ensure that they push themselves to the limits. However the real goal is to beat your own time over the course of the season. To do this you have to push yourself and that is not always what we want to do. A time trial gives you a bit of a push, if it is only to try to catch the cyclist in front of you or keep up with the one that has just passed you. Even if it’s only for 50 meters, it gets that bit more out of you. If anyone thinks (and that includes myself) that I’m going to compete with some of those that may be younger fitter and longer in the saddle, they are sorely mistaken. Yes I will push myself for myself and when some of the fitter cyclists tell me to get the led out as he or she flies past, I will grit my teeth call them several names and push harder. That’s me; I do this to get a bit fitter, to learn a new skill and to enjoy an hour away from the daily grind. The club is there for those who want to compete and those who want to enjoy getting fitter. There is room for all and on the Sunday cycle I often feel (know) that I slow the group down. But you know something they are there with me and at the next stop to ensure we all enjoy it. Why not come along and join us? I could do with a few more bodies to bring up the rear.

No comments:

Post a Comment